Monday, July 8, 2013

Tourists

Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:00 pm

 So… I don’t think I am going to bathe again for the rest of my time here. Think I’m crazy? Well picture me, an extreme bug-a-phobe, huddling against the wall of a concrete shower, trying to avoid three other walls, the main corner, and oh yeah, the floor. There were three huge, serious-looking spider webs this morning in the crook of the wall closest to the shower’s spray. Directly across from the shower head, on the wall at about face level was a large flying ant that kept creeping about. As I’m turning the shower on to avoid these, I notice something dark by my feet. Oh, and hey, it’s moving. Towards me. So there I am, pressed against a wall, trying to clean my disgusting body and I’m fighting for space. Near the end of my shower (you know, all three minutes worth) I think to check the wall that I’ve been huddling against. And oh, wouldn’t you know it, there’s the spider responsible for those webs…

For the record, I did just get out of my second shower here in Haiti. So I guess the intense desire to get off the days’ worth of dust, grime and sweat overcame the trauma of this morning.

Speaking of bugs, tarantula searching is quite the game over here on campus. Kevin got a video on his phone the other night of a large hairy fellow. It was gross.

We had breakfast this morning in the same dome half tube area as we had last night’s worship service. There was some cereal, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on extremely stale white bread, and I heard the pineapple getting rave reviews.

Dave Verville was not at breakfast this morning and did not make it to church. He had a severe migraine but luckily, Ed prayed for him and by the time lunch came around, Dave was back up and running. Amazing what a little bit of prayer can do!

Prior to his return, the rest of us attended church MOH style. The church is completely Haitian-run, and it showed throughout the service. The preachers were boisterous and outgoing in the yell “Praise Jesus!” kind of way. Watching the Haitians respond back to him with just as much vigor was incredible. There was no fear in them when it came to simply throwing themselves on their knees and praying out loud during the sermon. They sang with their hands raised, feet tapping and during one song, even a dance was required. It was beautiful and amazing to watch.

Macy was sitting a couple rows behind me, and when I turned to scan the crowd, I saw her with a little boy passed out in her lap. He didn’t appear to leave once during the service and whenever I would look back, he was always playing with her face. The best part was the joy on her face though. The smile reminded me of how we think that we come here to help them, but in all reality, they give us so much more than we could ever give to them.

Speaking of joy on her face, Geary mentioned to me that he was astounded by the same emotion displayed on the faces of so many others during the service. Even on the people you wouldn’t expect it from. He was particularly awed by an older gentleman with no teeth that just shown of happiness the entire time he was there.

One cool random fact: one of the preachers today was actually one of the very owner of MOH’s gardener prior to his current profession. He just walked up to him one day and told him that God was calling for him to do this. A bit of preacher schooling later, he stands before a church that can fit 1,500 people every weekend. Pretty amazing, right?

Following the church service, which was all in creole - apart from a few of the song lyrics - we went up the hill to the central gathering area for missions groups on the main MOH campus to have lunch. Lunch consisted of salad, shredded chicken and more peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! This time there were also chocolate cookie sandwiches and Pringles to add to the menu.

Before lunch, a few of us got the opportunity to go and check out the orphanage. It was amazing. We were at the baby house which basically houses the children ages 2 and under. One little girl stayed in Danni’s arms for a long while, playing with the clip on her water bottle. Another heavy little boy fell asleep in Emi’s arms, with his head against her shoulder. He was so heavy that she had to pass him on to me before her arms gave out. I had to sit on the front door step with the little chunker so I could keep holding him. I wanted to take the little guy home he was so cute! As I sat on the porch with him, I was able to watch two twin little brothers run around. They were light skinned and had curly brown hair. Unbelievably adorable. Me and the chunker also got the pleasure of watching a little girl with braids direct into formation and then conduct a group of our group’s adults in a Haitian rendition of a classic children’s song. Basically this consisted of the Americans clapping along while the little girl sang loudly in creole. She was not shy, that’s for sure.

After lunch and some gap time, it was 1:15 and time for our tour of the MOH campus! This was awesome and a disaster. Well, it was only a disaster for me… But I’ll get to that.

One of the very first buildings we walked past was bright pink and called Maggie’s Kitchen. Maggie was a 12-year-old little Haitian girl who was severely underfed and beaten when MOH brought her in. However, once inside, she discovered a passion. She loved to cook for all the other children. By cook, I mean she used to make popcorn for the others in that very building. It was where the kids could come to watch movies. Sadly, Maggie died of what they believe was leukemia a while back, and so the pink building was dubbed in her name.

We also checked out the clinic on campus. We were told about how they make all these prosthetic arms and legs for all the people that had limbs severed to save their lives after the earthquake. They get them here for free, and have to come in every six months to get refitted. 

But the coolest story came with the ambulance parked outside. So apparently there was a man in northern America who had this ambulance that he felt convicted to give to the MOH cause. So he called up the founder and told him about it. At that time, however, they didn’t do emergency help in Haiti in that way, so the founder thanked him, but politely turned down his offer. Not long after, there was a follow-up call in which the man told the founder that he couldn’t ignore the call from God to give the ambulance to Mission of Hope. So Brad finally took it, although he didn’t know what God’s plan was for it. Soon after the ambulance arrived, a paramedic decided he wanted to move his family to Haiti to help the MOH. Once again, Brad didn’t really see the use, since there wasn’t exactly a strong demand for a paramedic on the campus, but he couldn’t turn down God’s will, so once again, he accepted. About a month later, the earthquake hit. MOH had one of the two serviced ambulances in all of Haiti AND a paramedic. I’m sure you’re as amazed by God’s sovereignty as we were. He’s amazing, isn’t He?

Okay, now I think it’s time for a little tragedy. So we’re walking down this steep hill, and there’s a sidewalk on the left and an unpaved danger slide of rocks and gravel on the right. Well Kevin was walking along the road, so I figured I’d follow him to try to keep up. He kept getting farther though, so I picked up my pace. The smooth moves of grace and elegance that I carry as one of the world’s largest clutzes is quite incredible, I’ll tell you… I knew I was going down (and keep in mind, there was another group along with ours) so I decided to make it as epic as possible. My right leg went straight out, my left leg bent at the knee and I went down on my knee with a lovely arm in the air. Oh, so graceful.

Long story short, I was a bloody mess who, with the help of Tami, Kevin, and a woman from the other team, got quickly cleaned up. It was super embarrassing, but I think I made it look pretty awesome. Let’s just pray that it doesn’t get infected.

After our tour of MOH, we got back on the bus, well… it’s not really a bus. It’s this vehicle called King of the Roads. It’s a beast, and when we’re going too fast on the roads, the metal side start to vibrate and this really loud hum explodes in the ears of everyone catching a ride. But it’s fun! As a matter of fact, we hit a bump today that sent many airborne. And yes, I mean literally. I flew up that it legitimately hurt my butt bones when I came crashing back down. Tammie got so much air that she almost smashed her head on the roof! It looks like army transport vehicle/safari car...
 
We endured this ride for a chance to visit L’eveque. This is another Haitian village, one in which there is a strong focus on the deaf community. As we were driving through, many of us noticed that there were many children without pants on. Imagine that… literally, having nothing, not even clothes to cover yourself.

The church at the top of a very high hill that we got to check out was just recently opened, and was filled with children. Some were playing tag, observing the “white people,” and some were even on the ground with another missionary team’s young men, having arm wrestling tournaments. A little boy came up to me and jumped into my lap as I sat in a pew. He ended up wearing my sunglasses and comparing my facial structure to his own, touching first my lips, and then his, my eyebrows, and then his, as if he obviously recognized the differences, but was excited about our similarities as well. It was truly inspiring. And then, just before I left, I taught him how to fist pound and then “blow it up.” It was such a memorable moment for me. Saying goodbye to him was probably the hardest thing I did all day.

The rest of the day was spent back at Bercy (the name of our campus, pronounced bear-see) playing cards and exploring. Dinner was pretty awesome though. We got take-out! Haitian take-out. I’m not gunna lie, I was kind of unsure about this. I’m a really picky eater, so eating here at all has been kind of a challenge for me. But the really questionable chicken leg in my container was amazing, most liked the pasta salad, and I thought the rice and beans was to die for. Even more exciting was the delicacy known as ice cream! Haitian ice cream is much thicker and richer than ours. It was interesting. The weird thing was that I couldn’t even finish mine. There’s just something about heat that makes me unable to eat a lot, which is too bad, because it was good ice cream!

We closed out the night with team time. This was spent praying together, sharing stories and basically talking about what God was doing in us throughout the day. At the end, Geary told us to get into groups of two or three (making sure that you were with the same gender) to pray. I don’t know about everyone else’s experience, but mine was… there aren’t words. I got the honor of praying with Tami and I don’t think I have ever had anyone pray for me like she did. The closeness that she has with the Lord was palpable and was so spiritually uplifting. I’m not going to play the fraud, so I’ll just be frank and state that being “religious” is extremely hard for me. Prayer has always seemed awkward. But tonight was different. I was getting all choked up while Tami was speaking, and when it was my turn, the words seemed to flow effortlessly. It was incredible. God is definitely working in each and every one of us here, even in the smallest of ways.

-Katie Coming to You from Haiti

No comments:

Post a Comment